Sunday 16 August 2009

Assumption


I took five weddings yesterday (well, four weddings and a blessing) which isn’t something I’ve done before or would really want to do again. I used the fact that their anniversaries will always fall on the feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary to encourage them to spend at least one of these somewhere where people would be keeping a fiesta for her and for them. From among the set readings for the day I gave each of them ‘God has robed me with righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with garland, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels’. Some members of the choir were just a little ribald when I told yet another ungarlanded bridegroom that a bride as lovely as his didn't need to be bedecked in jewels, but it was true. Meanwhile, the pictures are two more of the statues of Mary which are a feature of endless street corners in Brugge.

No comments: