Saturday 11 May 2024

Use of half-times

 


Working for the last eleven weeks half-time in a parish thirty-five miles drive from home sometimes feels a foolhardy endeavour, especially when any particular request threatens to tip me beyond the ‘half-time’ limits set.  But actually the only real casualties so far has been the habit of blogging and any diligence in house cleaning. 

The retirement focus I had discovered (on random bits of research and sharing) has survived, squeezed into the corners of my remaining half-time, culminating on a single recent extended weekend when I found myself both checking proofs for an article (not something I’d ever done before) for Brontë Studies and leading my assessed tour to qualify as a Cathedral Guide.

So here are poor photos of objects newly displayed at the Lincoln Museum and the Usher Gallery next door to each other and a short walk from my home.  The Roman dodecahedron, excavated not far away at Norton Disney, has been a national sensation.  Local student Nimra Qayyum’s Echoes of Exodus, Loss and Longing is rooted in the 1947 Indo-Pak separation, and deserves equal attention.

No comments: